You can attend a local polling station to vote in person on Thursday 7th May.
Polling stations are open from 7am to 10pm. They are usually located in a public building such as a school or local hall. You must attend during opening hours or you will not be able to vote.
What you should do before 7th May:
- Register to vote before the deadline (Monday 20th April)
- Ensure that you have received a polling card from your Electoral Registration Office that confirms you have been registered. If you have not seen any written confirmation that you are registered, we recommend you contact them to check as soon as possible. If you are not registered by 20th April you will not be allowed to vote.
When you get to the polling station you should expect to:
- Give your name and address to the staff inside when you arrive
- Be given a ballot paper containing a list of the people running to become a Member of Parliament (MP). The name of the candidate will appear next to their political party logo, if they are representing one
- Be given a second ballot paper if there is also a local election happening in your area. This will have a list of different people running for election to a local position (e.g. councillor)
- Once you have received your papers you should then proceed to a polling booth.
When you fill out your ballot paper you should:
- Take your ballot paper(s) into a polling booth
- Follow the instructions on the notices in the polling booth and on the top of the ballot paper(s) to vote
- Put the ballot paper(s) in the ballot box, which should be clearly marked. Once you have done this, the voting process is complete and you can leave.
You do not have to:
- Tell anyone who you are voting for
- Show anyone your ballot paper(s) once you have filled it in
- Bring anything in particular with you (although you might want to bring I.D. just for your own reassurance)
If you’re not voting in person at a polling station, you can read our guides on:
We have adapted this from information on voting in the UK provide on the Government website.